We humans are blessed with 5 senses with each contributing significantly to our day to day functions. However, many studies and national health surveys implicated visual impairment as the most disabling among the impairment in the five senses. Vision loss can affect one's quality of life (QOL), independence, and mobility and has been linked to falls, injury, and worsened status in domains spanning mental health, cognition, social function, employment, and educational attainment.
At early stages of eye diseases we may not experience any obvious signs it the progression of diseases occurs gradually. Hence, it is imperative that you keep your eyes healthy and have regular check-ups with optometrists or eye doctors especially becuase most vision problems are preventable or treatable at least before permanent damage sets in.
Here, i have compiled basic 10 tips to keep your eye healthy:
1. Prolonged exposure to the sun is a known factor which causes damage to the eye and lead to eye conditions such as cataract. A simple act of wearing hat or a cap and sunglasses when you are outdoors may reduce significant amount of UV light entering the eye.
2. Various health hazard can take place while at work and it is crucial to note that 60% of eye injuries occurs at work. It is really important to take precautions such as wearing an eye protection at your workplace especially at jobs that involve handling hazardous chemicals, machinery which involve cutting, drilling, grinding, hammering, sanding, spraying or welding.
3. Wear eye protection when playing sports. Various eye injuries also occur frequently while playing sports. Make sure you are wearing suitable protective gear while playing the respective sports.
4. Quit smoking. This may not seem like something easy to be done by a smoker but it important to note that smoking causes damage to your whole body. It damages the blood vessels that supply blood and nutrients to your eyes. It is advisable to quit smoking and it you find it difficult do not feel shy to see a healthcare professional to seek help.
5. Regular exercise and balanced diet can never be emphasized enough. When you consume balanced diet and exercise regularly, not only you'll keep yourself looking great but also improve or maintain overall quality of life while keeping your blood vessels, eyes and your body at excellent health.
6. Domestic eye injuries often taken for granted. It is equally important to wear eye protection at home when using power tools or chemicals or when doing home maintenance, renovations or work in the garden.
7. Eye diseased is caused by multi factors. Some of the biggest contributors eye diseases are uncontrolled your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Maintaining a good control of these three health parameters and prevent many health complications and keep your eyes healthy.
8. Last but not least is "taking breaks". Regular breaks when working in front of your computer will not only helps to keep your eye healthy but promotes better focus and keep you more productive. Staring at the computer causes eyestrain and tired eyes and can cause long-term damage to your vision. Proper lighting and position of the monitor or screen is also important when reading or working at the computer as they can cause eyestrain or stress.